Friday, October 16, 2009

What are you hiding???

"Dear Employee -
    I'm not sure what you think you're hiding with your over sized sweaters, slouchy posture, and strategic arm placement, but I'm on to you.  The Canada Dry Ginger Ale I saw you swigging in August was a clue.  So was the change in eating habits, clothing, and multiple doctor's appointments.  However, the biggest clue is the GIANT BABY BUMP that you're sporting.  Do you think I'm blind?
   I'm hoping you fess up soon.  It's kind of killing me.


Sincerely,
Your Manager"

Seriously, I suspected back in early August that my employee was pregnant.  She is now obviously visibly pregnant, and hasn't said a word.  By my counting she is at least 12 weeks.  This is her second child.  I don't get it.  I can't believe she really thinks I don't know.  She sits right outside my office and I have to look at her every single day.  My husband wants to know why it bothers me so much, and I think it is because I am so afraid that she is due at the same time I am.  She is a daily reminder of what I lost and it kills me.  It really does. 

Every day I brace myself for how I'll react when she tells me the news.  I hope I don't flinch.  I hope I can come up with some nice words to say.  I think I might even go with something along the lines of "I was wondering when you were going to tell me."  I hope she's due in March or May and not April.  I don't know if I am strong enough to watch that every day.  I'm not jealous of her baby - I just want my own.

10 comments:

  1. Oh Jeez. I can't imagine how hard that must be. Does she know about your IF/miscarriage? Maybe she's trying to be sensitive, in a misguided way? Still, gah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Things like this make me glad that I work from home. And of course it bothers you, silly DH! It would break my heart to have to interact daily with another woman due in April, when I was supposed to be due. Don't question yourself there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's what I was thinking. Is that she didn't know how to approach you, or that she was waiting until at least 12 weeks.

    Would go for "Congratulations. I'm happy for you." Cause it's exactly what you said, it's not that you want her baby, it's that you want yours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think she knows anything about my situation. Although, who knows. I've suspected her all along, so maybe she suspected me. And, her cubicle is right outside of my office, so maybe she has heard me talking to my RE...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah... I'm pretty sure you know this, but my best friend is pregnant and we would have been due about two weeks apart. Each milestone she tells me about (because she tells me everything, so it would be weird not to share this too) is like a slice out of my heart. :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. ugh, what a difficult situation. hoping that whatever turns out, that it causes you as little pain as possible. ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sweetie, I know. I'm sure you'll find thewords when she'll tell you. I too hope her due date will not be to close to yours. Big hugs, I'm here for you. Love, Fran

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, wow. Who knows, she might know about your situation and be really worried about telling you. I'm sure you'll find the right words when she does. I'm sending big hugs your way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ow. That is just waaaay too awful and awkward a situation. I can't imagine seeing a pregnant woman grow almost every single day. I'm so sorry.

    ReplyDelete